Josh from Kansas - Dx Sep 2012

ASPS patients post updates here, including tales of success :)
Josh

Re: Josh from Kansas - Dx Sep 2012

Post by Josh »

Hey all sorry for lack of updates. I just don't have time for this cancer crap :roll:
I am likely starting Cedir trial soon, as in next week is my last day to decide (unless this new scan extends my eligibility) I have reservations and want to wait another few months to start but am not sure that would be wise. Will look at newest scan today with radiologist and onc and this may help decide.

Here is the email I sent out to family for update, nothing in it that I haven't posted here I don't think:
This is the official update I've officially been putting off for as long as officially possible.

I'd like to restate my treatment path thus far in brief pseudo-clinical terms:
Sept 2012, primary tumor removed, diagnosed ASPS. "Staging" scans performed--Thoracic CT, PET, Brain MRI. Sept 2012, many suspicious nodules visible on the CT scan in my lungs. VATS Surgical resection of a group of three sub-centimeter nodule reveals pathology of ASPS in lungs--extent of cancer is recognized as Stage IV. Sarcoma is a rare enough cancer that little research exists on most of the even rarer subtypes, including ASPS. Our first oncologist, Dr Myron (who we no longer are in communication with--no one likes their first oncologist I don't think) wrote a prescription for Sutent, a TKI class drug used in Renal Cell Carcinoma. He also identified a Clinical Trial at the NIH/NCI for a new drug (also a TKI class) called Cediranib. Astra Zeneca created it and for whatever reason discontinued it and gifted it to the NIH, from what I understand. We traveled to Bethesda and met the researchers who lifted quite a burden, just knowing that something existed that might help me one day. I sent them every new CT scan we did, and my cancer was growing so slowly that I DID NOT QUALIFY TO BEGIN THE CEDIRANIB TRIAL. Research and discussion with doctors at NIH and other medical facilities also revealed to us that one of the few chances of complete cure is to resect all the cancer. No American doctor we spoke with felt able to resect all of the nodules visible on the CT scans. Jan 2012, after corresponding with Dr Rolle in Germany who uses a technique available in the UK, Japan, Germany, S Korea, along with a host of other First-World Countries (except the US) and consulting with Dr Zwischberger (spellling?) at U of Kentucky (who had been trying to start a trial to approve said technique for US practice, but failed due to lack of sponsorship from the Industry, etc) we presented in Germany. Dr. Rolle resected 30+ tumors FROM MY LEFT LUNG using this techinque, and used a different technique to remove an additional 30+ tiny (<1 mm) invisible "tumor seeds" FROM MY LEFT LUNG that he was able to palpitate (using his sense of feel to squeeze the lung tissue).

After several weeks of recovery in Coswig hospital, then another week staying at Meg's cousin's house in Munich, we returned to the States, continued to send scans, until Dr Rolle accepted us back for OPERATION ON THE RIGHT LUNG. By this time it was evident that there were NEW NEW NODULES APPEARING ON THE ALREADY OPERATED (LEFT) LUNG. Dr Rolle stated that this surgery would be of a palliative intent--in hopes of reducing the tumor burden AND slowing the cancer's progress. Similar results were obtained during this surgery, however this time the resection was intentionally incomplete in order to balance lung preservation with reduction of tumor burden. In this respect it was a smashing success--I am still able to stand on Fire Brigade at work! However, we were now aware that my disease appears to be "widely disseminated," and the RIGHT LUNG operation was intended to reduce tumor burden instead of cure my disease as we had set out to do in the beginning.

Since that time, we have been observing a very slow but very steady growth of these new tumors in both lungs, along with the appearance of new tiny nodules suspected to be more tiny tumors.

Currently, I HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR THE CEDIRANIB TRIAL AT NIH/NCI in Bethesda, MD and have flights to go and talk about beginning the trial next week. This trial is very promising considering the rarity of my disease. It has shown EXCELLENT response in patients who are able to tolerate it. Others do not respond despite tolerance.

If this TKI shows benefit, it will shrink some of my larger tumors at best or at least stop them from growing. At worst, it has no result. Sadly, this stability is nearly always temporary. I don't have stats on the "normal" time span that it usually works, but it could be months or years.
Unfortunately, sometimes when the cancer figures out "a way around" the drug and the TKI no longer benefits me, I will be forced to discontinue the trial. I am talking with all of my doctors about formulating a plan for when the trial no longer benefits me (Let's all hope that it shows benefit indefinitely, or long enough to find a real cure for this cancer, and then I can come visit everyone in awesome spirits!), but we are definitely not going to "wait and hope" in this case and will be as ready as we can be if/when this happens.

AS I SAID BEFORE, I HAVE SEVERAL IDEAS FOR IF/WHEN THE TRIAL NO LONGER BENEFITS ME AND WE WILL BE READY TO FACE THIS SITUATION IF/WHEN IT COMES. I am still working, I feel great, my breathing is easy and painless, the surgery is damn near 100% healed up, It's time to hit this cancer with something that lets it know it's not welcome here (I just wish it wasn't so oblivious and rude sometimes, I've already had to cut it up, my body tried to drown it last December with pneumonia, now I'm going to have to poison it. Maybe I should nick name it Rasputin--BUT IN THE END EVEN THAT CRAZY BASTERD DIED AND SO WILL MY CANCER!)

Lastly, I have taken a scan on Tuesday to observe the results of my recent change in diet, my immune system boost, and my Intravenous vitamin C treatments. If this scan shows significant growth, it will be an easy decision to start the trial. If it shows stability, I am considering delaying starting this trial. I am prepared to make either decision, based on the results of the scan (which we will know tomorrow) and on the advice of my oncologists.

I will update next week with my decision.

--
҉ Josh
Sorry for hasty post. So much to do before we leave to DC...Take care, all my friends and supporters and fellow cancer soldiers and their supporters. I hope to have time to talk soon.
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Hi Josh, thanks for an update.
"I just don't have time for this cancer crap" is pretty much the attitude Ivan has so sounds very familiar to me! Your plan looks reasonable, your experiments with vit C and a diet are interesting, just try no maintain stable healthy weight and may be even gain some if you decide to start cediranib trial as most people loose some on it.
Olga
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Josh,
It was so good to hear from you and for you to take/make the time to write and update and to share the detailed and very informative history of your ASPS journey and treatments . It is so good too to hear that your strong fighting spirit and your sense of humor is in tact, and that you have a well researched and very pro-active plan for fighting your disease. I am holding very tight to Hope that your today's scan results will show stable disease with no increased growth of your lung mets and no new mets so that you can continue just monitoring everything and not have to begin a systemic treatment. However, if the scans unfortunatley show continued growth and disease progression, I think that the Cediranib/Sunitinib Trial at NIH is probably a good systemic treatment option to explore. I will be anxiously awaiting your update on your scan results and your decision regarding the Cediranib Trial, and in the meantime am sending my most positive thoughts and very best wishes for very good news.
With deepest gratitude for your thoughtfully shared update, special caring thoughts, healing wishes, and continued Hope,
Bonni
MarietjievdMerwe

Post by MarietjievdMerwe »

Dear Josh,

All the best of luck to you! I will keep you in my heart. And also: LOVE your attitude!

Kind regards.
Marietjie.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Quick update:

My last scan showed what the report called "very mild progression." The growth was mild, but still enough to extend my eligibility for the trial. The largest nodule has stabilized at 2.1 cm (from what I understand from some consensus on this forum--correct me if I'm wrong--but 2cm is around the size the tumor begin to grow veins, so it might be putting energy into this vascularization instead of into increasing size? Or hopefully has stablized?) The good news is that the scan has shown that no new mets have appeared. This is a new development, as thus far every scan has shown new mets. But, like I said, there is still steady growth of around 1mm/month in several nodules.

I discussed this with my onc and with Dr Kummar (trial lead) and they both have agreed that it is acceptable to spend the immediate future trying to gain some weight prior to starting the trial, which was my plan assuming eligibility was extended.

During the past several months I have been going to the University hospital and receiving IV Vitamin C infusions. I don't know if this is the cause of the lack of new mets or not, but I am continuing them in the mean time regardless. I've also seen a nutritionist there who suggested a ketogenic diet to reduce the sugars that feed cancer. This has been the main cause of my weight loss, so I am relaxing the carb restriction somewhat and really trying to increase healthy fats.

I am going to take a PFT soon to make sure the growth is not having a large effect on my pulmonary function. If it has, I may re-evaluate how long I am waiting to start the trial.
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Hey Josh,

I forgot to ask you whether you have had a chance to talk tumor reduction of one or more of your 4 major tumors prior to the clinical trial ?
Olga found a paper on cyto-reduction and taking sunitinib and how that has been proven successful in addition to sunitinib.
It seems that it should sure be considered as the two could reduce your tumor load but still leave a targeted tumor to determine the reduction of some larger tumors left after cyro and or RFA of some sort.
Remove by some type cryo technique and treat with cediranib and/or sunitinib to keep growth in check and/or reduce or make disappear . :D

http://www.cureasps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=961
Last edited by D.ap on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Debbie
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Josh,
Thank you for the thoughtful updated information. I am so grateful that your recent scans showed no new tumors, but am sorry that there continues to be steady mild growth of some of your lung mets. I am grateful too that your relatively good scan results provide you with an opportunity to postpone starting your Cediranib Clinical Trial so that you can gain some weight which will be important if/when you do proceed with participation in the Trial although thankfully Brittany never experienced any dramatic weight loss on Cediranib and her weight has now stabilized.
It will be very interesting to determine if your IV Vitamin C infusions are contributing to your lack of development of any new tumors, and I will be closely following your experience and results with this supplemental vitamin approach.
I agree with your dear mother that cryoablation tumor reduction of a couple of your largest lung mets may be advisable in order to reduce your body's tumor burden prior to beginning Cediranib treatment and encourage you to discuss this with your doctor.
Take care Josh, enjoy your relaxed diet and being able to eat some weight gaining food :-), and keep in touch as you are able.
With special caring thoughts, healing wishes, and continued Hope,
Bonni
Josh

Post by Josh »

February update:

This update actually starts back last August when I had a brain MRI. The report reported no evidence of cancer, but continues to show the effects of a demyleniating process. There was a problem getting an appointment scheduled with the neurologist to follow up so we just did the report review with our onc and scheduled a follow up with the neurologist for December.

As December came around, we went in to review the scan with Dr. Lynch (neurologist) and we noticed a tiny suspicious nodule that the radiologist had missed back in August. She ordered a follow up MRI which revealed 3 nodules: a 1 cm nodule deeply embedded on the left side, two < 1 cm nodules on the right near each other. These should have been caught at a much smaller size, but the radiologist missed it.

We proceeded to schedule SRS which was completed beginning of January. The one-month follow up report said that the larger had grown to 1.4 cm, and the smaller one's had grown by 1 cm, but he suggests this could be a result of swelling from the radiation and not actual growth.

We just completed another MRI and are awaiting the results right now. We have consulted a neurosurgeon who reviewed the scan preliminarily, and believes that the larger one did indeed escape the radiation (He says if it did even shrink, it is not as much as expected had the radiation worked). He is going to perform Laser Ablation to the deep larger tumor next week. We will continue to monitor the smaller ones, which he said are also candidates for traditional surgery if they show evidence of also escaping the radiation.

Unfortunately, this disqualifies me for the Cediranib trial for now. In the meantime, I have begun taking Temodar, which was "an agent of potential benefit" shown on a molecular profile we had done.

At least now we don't have to fight to get MRIs done...
Josh

Post by Josh »

PS- Sorry for the hasty update, I am behind at work...I will update again when we get the results of the scan; and I hope everyone is doing well!
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Josh, it is so disappointing to hear about yet another misread scan and metastases missed - and they were not like 1-2 mm but bigger as I understand. May be your neurosurgeon is now going to be Cc on all the brain scans and will review them himself - this is what Ivan managed to arrange for now. Good luck with the scan results and thank you for an update.
Olga
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Josh,
It was so very good to hear from you and so thoughtful of you to post an update in the midst of everything that you are going through right now. I am so sorry about your brain met situation and share the deep frustration and anger about the radiologist inexcusably missing the mets at the smallest most treatable size. Sadly, yours is not an isolated incident and this seems to happen much too often and the patient heartbreakingly pays the price for the radiologist's negligence. It certainly exemplifies and amplifies the critical need to pro-actively insist on personally reviewing the scans with the radiologist or oncologist and asking as many questions as necessary about what is seen on the scan. I am so sorry too, but unfortunately not surprised, that the sterotactic brain radiation treatment appears to have been unsuccessful in shrinking and destroying your largest brain met. Based on our personal experience with Brittany's brain mets, Gamma Knife was unsuccessful for brain mets larger than 4 mm. due to the limitation in the amount of high dose radiation that can be delivered to the tumor without causing severe radiation associated brain swelling. My very best wishes and greatest Hope will be with you for a very successful response to your next week's neuro laser ablation procedure for the largest met, and that the smaller mets will begin to show necrotic shrinkage from the January SRT treatment. However, it will be critically important to closely and vigilantly monitor the two smaller mets with frequent MRI scans and if it is determined that there is any amount of growth, rather than playing "the wait and see game", I strongly recommend immediate resection since they are resectable.
I am very Hopeful too that your systemic Temodar treatment will prove successful in stabilizing the progression of your disease and preventing the growth of any more mets. Has Temodar been shown to be effective in shrinking and destroying mets as well as preventing the growth of new ones? Perhaps Olga can open a Temodar topic where other ASPS Community members can follow your Temodar experience, side effects, and treatment results. In the meantime, please take care dear Josh, stay strong, let Hope lead you through each day, know that you are held very close in my most caring thoughts, and keep in touch as you are able.
With special hugs, deepest caring, healing wishes, and continued Hope,
Bonni
Josh

Post by Josh »

The most recent MRI results are back. The largest tumor is now 1.3cm, but still shows hypervascularity, so we are going with the assumption it is alive and kicking. The procedure we have planned is called "Neuroblate."

The smaller two nodules had actually shrunk by 1mm from the December scan (I want to say now 5mm and 6mm but will have to check), so that is excellent news. There is a suspicious tiny possible area near the other two, but it may be damage from radiation. We will follow up on that on the next scan.

I'm not sure about the Temodar studies. We are hoping there was some value in the molecular profile we did.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Insurance has denied the RFA that we were planning on doing. We are currently fighting this denial as well as pursuing other options. Has anyone heard about the http://www.cancercenter.com/brain-cance ... -approach/?
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Josh,
I am so very sorry and frustrated about the insurance company's inexplicable, and I feel inexcusable, denial of coverage for your RFA brain met treatment, especially when resection does not seem to be a viable option without serious risks. I am holding very tight to Hope that you will win the appeal and will be able to move forward with the treatment as soon as possible and before the brain met grows any larger. In the meantime, I applaud your pro-active search to find another possible treatment option and am very interested in learning more about the promising new minimally invasive six pillar approach procedure for deeply located/unresectable brain tumors that you just posted the link for, and which I am personally unfamilar with. Take care dear Josh, stay strong and determined, and keep in touch as you are able.
With special caring hugs, positive thoughts, healing wishes, and continued Hope,
Bonni
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Hi Josh, I read the link that you provided and it looks like the advanced type of the minimally invasive brain surgery. If the insurance agrees to pay for the surgery but the local surgeon is unable to perform it (and is willing to confirm that the surgery is beneficial but he is technically unable to reach the area) it probably makes you eligible to seek the help from the place with more advanced technology?
Brittany had one of the brain mets treated with the LITT (it is a laser based ablation not RFA) in Boston few years ago by Dr.Black. But it was done as a part of the clinical trial as I remember so no problems with the insurance (may be Bonni could comment on it).
Olga

Return to “Personal Stories and Updates”