Jussi from Finland - Dx 2008 - 30.3.1991 - 23.8.2019 R.I.P.

Those who lost their battle with ASPS :(
D.ap

Re: Jussi from Finland - Dx 2008

Post by D.ap »

Good news , Jussi .

Does Burana mean ibuprofen ?
Debbie
arojussi

Post by arojussi »

Burana is name of the pill and ibuprofen is active incderient, so yes.
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

After Jussi posted re. taking ibuprofen for the pain control while on ICI combination treatment regimen (Opdivo + Yervoy), I decided to check if there is an interaction between the NSAID and PD_1 inhibiting drugs.
Found this intriguing artcile

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs boost antitumor immune response
http://www.bioworld.com/content/nonster ... e-response
They conclude:
in combination with PD-1 blockers, treatment with NSAIDs strongly reduced tumor growth.
I will read more and might add it to the strategies for improving response topic.
Olga
arojussi

Post by arojussi »

I temember reading once, that aspirin synergistic with pd1-inhibitors.

Just distant memory, but in theory it makes sense as at least macrophages have 2 modes: one that helps with wound healing and one that helps with destruction of pathogens. Cancer is basically wound that never heals, so obviously anti-inflammatory medicines will affect to outcome. I couldnt predict if effects were positive or negative. Now it looks like ibuprofen helps with the inflammation associated with cancer growth. To survive cancer must be able to trick immune system to help with angiongenesis and so on. It is not surprising, that if immunesystem turns from cancer`s ally to it`s enemy long lasting responses can be achieved. Of course this is dangerous as our own immunesystem has power to kill us. That is why our body limits our white cells with check points. Macrophages can eat dead cells without inflammation. Based on current evidence it indeed looks possible maybe even likely, that inflammation isnt needed for immunotherapy to work.
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Debbie
arojussi

Post by arojussi »

Based on cardiac mri my heart is working normally. There is just giant tumor hugging it. First cardiac mri, so they have to compare it to chest ct and echo. Effusion is going down. Tumor hasnt grown, but shrinkage cant be confirmed. It is just moth after starting immunotherapy. Shrinkage is most likely just millimeters, of course we cant confirm it as we dont have cardiac mri taken before.
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Jussi
Good to hear from you .
Effusion is in relationship to fluid and it is going down?
Debbie
arojussi

Post by arojussi »

Effusion is fluid in pericardium.
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Thank you.
How was that determined?
They could measure that by comparing the previous echo and current MRI?
Debbie
arojussi

Post by arojussi »

Happy accident. As my diet in general is very unhealthy, but because of cediranib associated diarrea I have been eating dried blueberries 300 - 400 mg daily for past two moths imrproving my cut microbiome for immunotherapy. I just realised importance of diet for gut microbiome. For optimal gut microbiome as much greens and vegetables as possible seems optimal. Some good news also coffee, dark chocolate and red wine might be beneficial (what lovely excuse.) There was one mouse study supporting soy isolate supplements, so I see no reason not to try it.

Based on information about optimal gut health and idea that anti-inlammatoy drugs might be beneficial for immunotherapy I am really starting to think that inflammation isnt neccessery for immunotherapy to work. As steroids reduce inflammation they might not be as harmfull as it initially feels. steroids definitely have immunosupressive effects, but there seems to be very little proof about steroids eliminating immunotherapy benefits.
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Jussi

Love the dialogue .
So good gut hygiene MAY help eliminate/ and or act as a natural steroid, as it can or will cut down on inflammatory possible autoimmune issues ?

Having a healthy gut can or will keep inflammation bay ?
Would love to see your reading materials when you get a moment.: )
Debbie
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Jussi - as I understand Lymphocyte, monocyte, and basophil counts decrease in response to corticosteroid administration, while neutrophil counts increase. It is statistically proven that for ICI response, we need the opposite - higher Lymphocyte and lower neutrophil count.
Olga
arojussi

Post by arojussi »

Of course nobody should ever use steroids unless they have to. As steroids have nasty side-effects. And logically thinking steroids should be very counterproductive for immunotherapy. But surprisingly I havent wound any solid proof that steroids eliminate immunotherapy benefits. As steroids are used for immunothery side-effects I would imagine that they would notice really soon, that steroids are very harmful. Steroids can negatively affect body`s white cell counts, but at least I don't know what this means clinically.
arojussi

Post by arojussi »

I simply checked what gut microbes Ivan tried to grow. Googled those bacteria and foods that might help them grow. Soy and theophyllins in grapes seemed to improve mice health. I have no idea why. Dried blueberries most likely work like grapes.
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Blueberry skin is an excellent source of the polyphenols, like the grape skin, and a lot of of pectin. It looks like you have already modified your diet inadvertently. 300 - 400 mg dried blueberries daily is a pretty high dose I think - it may be an equivalent of 2 kilos of the fresh ones:)
Olga

Return to “Rest In Peace”