Anders Giebel from Denmark - Dx 2007 - RIP 29/04/2011

Those who lost their battle with ASPS :(
Anders

Re: Hi from Anders, and a bit about me.

Post by Anders »

Hi Olga
Thanks alot for this info! Its actually more than i got from both my own doktor and from coswig so far... Atleast now i know when to turn up there. Untill two days ago, i was told it was a whole other type of tratment i was getting. I have only just begun to ajust to the fact that i will have open lung surgery, and be away from my wife and kids for 1-3 weeks, but im gettign there.... Initially it was one week and no open surgery.

But still Axel believes he can remove it all, and thats is what is most important for me.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Hi From anders
Well im sitting here at the very weird computer in coswig germany at... for those like ivan who have been here, isnt that keyboard just weird? And the speed og the connection is mindblowing slow hehe :)

I had my left lung done last thursday, where they removed 33 mets. largest was 7mm (my largest combining both lungs). Had all my tubes removed today, and really injoying my new found freedom. Feeling good, with no complications and a very speedy recovery. Already doing 4000ml on the air training unit they give you to work on the air intake.

And ivan... you still have the record at 270 watts on the bike.. after some 15 mins they stopped me at 190watts... and was just starting to sweat... gotta push it a little more when i return here in 6-7 weeks for the other lung... right lung has like 20 mets with mostly very small mets.

thats all for me, just a small update... gonna make a better wone with some form the pathology testing when i et back home... hope im home for next weekend.
Ivan
Admin

Post by Ivan »

I am happy to hear you are doing well. Make sure you work hard, but progress slowly day by day. With the first surgery it's easy to go too fast and then you can get a pneumothorax or some other complication.
Anders

Post by Anders »

IvanAndreevich wrote:I am happy to hear you are doing well. Make sure you work hard, but progress slowly day by day. With the first surgery it's easy to go too fast and then you can get a pneumothorax or some other complication.
Hi Ivan
Thank you for the input. I try not to overdo it, and remind myself to have rests during the day. After beeing in the bed for so many days, its like you dont really want to lie down again. And then there is the competitive aspect, where i just want to do all i can do to get back on top. :).

Btw, i have incounteret that cat you write about in your desciption... grey with stripes, white paws... looks a bit old? :) Also ran into a red one, but that one was almost a kitten.
Ivan
Admin

Post by Ivan »

Anders wrote:
IvanAndreevich wrote:I am happy to hear you are doing well. Make sure you work hard, but progress slowly day by day. With the first surgery it's easy to go too fast and then you can get a pneumothorax or some other complication.
Hi Ivan
Thank you for the input. I try not to overdo it, and remind myself to have rests during the day. After beeing in the bed for so many days, its like you dont really want to lie down again. And then there is the competitive aspect, where i just want to do all i can do to get back on top. :).

Btw, i have incounteret that cat you write about in your desciption... grey with stripes, white paws... looks a bit old? :) Also ran into a red one, but that one was almost a kitten.
Which one -
or

Just remind yourself that you can not go 100% even if your body allows it. Remember that rather than going hard for 15 minutes you can go a little easier for 25 minutes. If you get a pneumothorax you will be lying down, and the tube goes back in. I am sure you don't want any part of that ;)
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Anders,
It is so good to hear from you and to hear about the successful outcome of your last week's laser lung surgery. it sounds like everything went very well and that you are making a very good and speedy recovery. Ivan has provided some excellent advice based on his previous laser lung surgery experience, so Hopefully you will be able to benefit from it and not over exert and risk a pneumothorax. Take care, give your body time to recover so that you can regain your strength and energy for the next laser surgery in a month and a half, travel safe on your return trip Home to Denmark, and keep the Board updated as you are able.
With healing wishes, special caring thoughts, and continued Hope,
Bonni
With special caring thoughts and continued Hope,
Bonni Hess
Anders

Post by Anders »

Ivan
Looks like the big one in mage nr 2. hehe :)
Im not nearly pushing it... im to afraid to blow my lung. Went on bike today for 14 mins a 50watt and then some extra mins on 100w. Physio helped me there.

Thanx for the word Bonni... Invans description really helped me out before going here. Thnx again for that ivan :)
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Anders - Hi, it is good to see that you are feeling good in Coswig with all the old trees in the park and these cats wondering around that all people love to pat...Tell Dr.Rolle that Olga and Ivan are saying hi to him when you see him.
Did he tell you the result of the pathology test of the resected lung mets - if there is any necrosis from the chemotherapy you had before? You can ask them to give you a few samples of a different size mets to take home with you so you can talk your local doctor into doing molecular profiling of these mets, it might be of some help at some point.
Olga
Ivan
Admin

Post by Ivan »

Anders wrote:Ivan
Im not nearly pushing it... im to afraid to blow my lung. Went on bike today for 14 mins a 50watt and then some extra mins on 100w. Physio helped me there.

Thanx for the word Bonni... Invans description really helped me out before going here. Thnx again for that ivan :)
Very good. Just keep increasing it slowly by maybe 15W every day, depending on how you feel. You can go a little bit more, but it should not be difficult. You should aim to do 20 minutes but lower watts.

And when you do get home DO NOT try to run before at least 3 weeks. Biking slowly (as long as you don't fall), and walking quickly is better. When you do go running do it very slowly and without pain. Again, a little bit longer distance but not too fast.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Olga wrote:Anders - Hi, it is good to see that you are feeling good in Coswig with all the old trees in the park and these cats wondering around that all people love to pat...Tell Dr.Rolle that Olga and Ivan are saying hi to him when you see him.
Did he tell you the result of the pathology test of the resected lung mets - if there is any necrosis from the chemotherapy you had before? You can ask them to give you a few samples of a different size mets to take home with you so you can talk your local doctor into doing molecular profiling of these mets, it might be of some help at some point.
I will tell him hi, and i should be getting the details on the mets today. I already explaind the first day, that i was interested in how the chemo had worked. They say i takes the pathologist about a week after surgery... thats today. Today i was asked when i wanted to go home... so im aiming for saturday or sunday, since i still have half the metal clambs in the surgery area.
Ivan wrote:
Anders wrote:Ivan

Very good. Just keep increasing it slowly by maybe 15W every day, depending on how you feel. You can go a little bit more, but it should not be difficult. You should aim to do 20 minutes but lower watts.

And when you do get home DO NOT try to run before at least 3 weeks. Biking slowly (as long as you don't fall), and walking quickly is better. When you do go running do it very slowly and without pain. Again, a little bit longer distance but not too fast.

Im not sure im gonna try to run before next surgery... gonna miss it like hell but dont wanna jeopadise next surgery. I have a bike at home in my livingroom im gonna use to stay fit, and gonna walk alot too.
Ivan
Admin

Post by Ivan »

Anders wrote:Im not sure im gonna try to run before next surgery... gonna miss it like hell but dont wanna jeopadise next surgery. I have a bike at home in my livingroom im gonna use to stay fit, and gonna walk alot too.
When are you planning to have the next one? If the mets are still small in the other lung, maybe it's better to wait for a 3 months. This will allow your lungs to heal so your body can be strong for the other side.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Ivan wrote:
Anders wrote:Im not sure im gonna try to run before next surgery... gonna miss it like hell but dont wanna jeopadise next surgery. I have a bike at home in my livingroom im gonna use to stay fit, and gonna walk alot too.
When are you planning to have the next one? If the mets are still small in the other lung, maybe it's better to wait for a 3 months. This will allow your lungs to heal so your body can be strong for the other side.
Next surgery should be in 5-6 weeks. Im being released today, and returning home by train tomorrow. Im happy to recover so well, cus its really not more than 8 days since my surgery. Spoke to a doktor yesterday, and she said i can expect the same from next suegery. its alot smaller and ig i dont get complications, its gonna be just as fast.

They where focusing on the lung i was gonna get done this time, but they did a count and found somwhre between 11 and 20 mets... all in the sice of like 2-4 (maybe 5) mm. So they a rather small, and most are probably not even being extratted, but rather burned on the spot.

Im worrying about waiting to long between surgerys, because i fear it can spread from the non operated lung, to the operated lung while im recovering. Rolle said something about ASPS not developing blood vesels until mets become 5+ mm, and they need those vesels to spread. Hope i got it right :)
Ivan
Admin

Post by Ivan »

Anders wrote:
Ivan wrote:
Next surgery should be in 5-6 weeks. Im being released today, and returning home by train tomorrow. Im happy to recover so well, cus its really not more than 8 days since my surgery. Spoke to a doktor yesterday, and she said i can expect the same from next suegery. its alot smaller and ig i dont get complications, its gonna be just as fast.

They where focusing on the lung i was gonna get done this time, but they did a count and found somwhre between 11 and 20 mets... all in the sice of like 2-4 (maybe 5) mm. So they a rather small, and most are probably not even being extratted, but rather burned on the spot.

Im worrying about waiting to long between surgerys, because i fear it can spread from the non operated lung, to the operated lung while im recovering. Rolle said something about ASPS not developing blood vesels until mets become 5+ mm, and they need those vesels to spread. Hope i got it right :)
Personally, I don't believe there is a significant chance of any spreading the way you describe. A few weeks will not make any difference in that way.

Talk to Dr. Rolle and ask him how much of a break he would recommend. It certainly seems like your other lung is in good shape right now - they are very small. If it was me, I would definitely wait 2 months to recover more fully. I think it's important to understand that with a slow growing disease like this (and in your case in particular) 1 month will not make much difference for the mets' growth. At the same time, it will make a BIG difference for recovering from the first surgery.

Right now your operated lung is at maybe 30% capacity and your non operated lung is at 100%. So, your total is 0.5*30% + 50% = 65% of full capacity. This is OK. Let's say that in 5-6 weeks your operated lung will recover to 60%. At that point if you have a surgery you will have 0.5*60% + 0.5*20% (second lung is operated on) = 40% of full capacity. As you can see, this is much lower than after one surgery alone. If you allow more time for recovery your operated lung can go to 80% and that's 50% total already.

Either way it's up to you, but keep this in mind.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Got the report from my stay in coswig today

33 nodules removed messuring from 1 to 6 mm and no sign of necrosis (its in german but think i got it right). Most where 2 to 4 mm. ( Malignity 1 - low to moderate ploymorphic necrosis )

Nothing in lymfs

Feeling good, but still a bit sore in operated area. Take pretty much same amount of air in as before surgery.
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Welcome back:(
From the report it looks like the chemotherapy did not do a lot, was that nodule that shrunk on that chemo in this operated lung (one of resected and tested nodules) or it will be resected next time?
Olga

Return to “Rest In Peace”