Tok from South Africa - Dx around 2004

ASPS patients post updates here, including tales of success :)
Bonni Hess

Re: Tok from South Africa - Dx around 2004

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Marietjie,
I am sorry that Tok had to postpone his clinic appointment with Dr. Cohen, but am so glad that he otherwise seems to be doing so well now and has been able to resume his work and his regular activities :-). I am happy too that his spirits are good and that he has a positive attitude which is so very important in fighting this disease.
I continue to be perplexed as to why Dr. Cohen schedules X-rays instead of CT's since CT's are the state of the art diagnostic tool which can better detect smaller mets that may not be visible on X-rays, but perhaps it is because he wants to limit greater radiation exposure which is always a concern with CT scans. Has Dr. Cohen given Tok or you an explanation regarding his choice of diagnostic scans?
My very best wishes and most positive thoughts will be with Tok for very good results from his X-ray in March which will Hopefully show continued disease stability and no new mets, and I will be anxiously awaiting your update. Tok's successful response thus far to his traditional chemo regimen has certainly provided encouragement and Hope to all of us in the ASPS Community, and I am so deeply grateful for your continued thoughtful sharing and updates.
Please give Tok and yourself special hugs from me, and know that he and all of your family are always held very close in my heart and my most caring thoughts.
Heart to heart with deepest caring, healing wishes for Tok, warm friendship, and continued Hope,
Bonni
MarietjievdMerwe

Post by MarietjievdMerwe »

Dear Bonni,

We are ecstatic about Brittany's unbelievably good news! There truely is Someone watching over her. :)

Your guess is as good as mine regarding Tok's chest x-ray! I really am not sure at all why he ordered a normal x-ray? I am sure he knows best as he had great success in treating this terrible disease! I will keep you updated. :)

In the meantime we still Hope and Pray that he recovered 100%.

Keep well and a very special hug to Brittany.

Kind regards.
Marietjie.
MarietjievdMerwe

Hi Everybody!

Good news again on brother Tok. :) I have attached today's x-ray results. Dr Cohen is obviously VERY happy with the results, as so are we! :)

I am so happy to be able to share this with you.

Very kind regards.

Marietjie.
Attachments
Tok X-ray0001.jpg
Tok X-ray0001.jpg (480.57 KiB) Viewed 7004 times
Josh

Post by Josh »

Excellent news! All the best,
Josh
MarietjievdMerwe

Thank you so much, Josh!!! We are over the moon with joy. :) The very best to you as well.
Regards.
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

It is an excellent news and a very unique complete lung metastases response to the conventional chemotherapy MAID regiment. I was wondering if Dr.Cohen would be willing to write a short article for some of the oncology journals so this unique case would get a proper attention?
Olga
MarietjievdMerwe

Olga,
This is indeed an unique case. Exactly the same words dr Cohen used yesterday. I have already asked him about writing an short article on Tok's case but haven't received an answer yet. I will send him an email again and let you know when I get a response from him.
Regards.
Marietjie.
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Marietjie

How wonderful is that news?!

Love to you and yours.

Debbie
Debbie
MarietjievdMerwe

Debbie,

Thank you, we are still stunned but so very very very happy about this!

All the very best to you as well.

Have a wonderful day.

Love to all.

Marietjie.
Ivan
Admin

Post by Ivan »

I am delighted with the news. Wish your brother well for me!

I do wonder, though, why an xray is used vs a CT scan.
MarietjievdMerwe

Thanks dear Ivan!

I am really not sure why he did this? He obviously saw what he wanted to see and will only see Tok in July for a CT again.

I must just share this with you: my brother can be a tad negative at times and when he saw the big dark spot on the x-ray, he immediately thought that was a huge part of his lung missing! Until dr Cohen assured him that was his heart and his spine. :)

Never a dull moment with Tok. :)

Keep well Ivan. :)
Regards.
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Tok and Marietjie

How are things going your way?
It's about time for another scan?
Thinking of you both
Love
Debbie
Debbie
MarietjievdMerwe

Hi Debbie and everybody!

It's been a while. :( I am so busy with the newest member of the family. :)

Tok is doing ok at the moment. He is suppose to see dr Cohen on July 17th. Unfortunately Carreen lost her job and therefore their medical insurance, so at this moment I truly cannot tell if he will be able to see dr Cohen and have the CT done. This is heartbreakinly sad, but we just have to deal with this blow.

I will keep you updated on whether he will be able to have his appointment or not.

I trust everybody else are doing fine and wishing you well.

Kind regards.
Marietjie.
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Marietjie - sorry to hear that Tok has no insurance now, but it is good that at least his primary surgery and chemotherapy were done already - two big ticket items.
May be is a provision for the people who had been Dx while they had insurance for it to be in effect for that disease and carry on after it was terminated for everything else?
Olga
MarietjievdMerwe

Olga,
They were on a private medical aid (insurance). We don't have state medical insurance in SA. The alternative for him would be to go to a state hospital, but that's guaranteed death. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but unfortunately that's a fact. There is absolutely no patient care and the state hospitals are in a filthy state. I'm sure you get the picture? Very very bad.
Take care.
Marietjie.

Return to “Personal Stories and Updates”