Kat's daughter from Australia - Dx Jul 2013 at 7 yrs old

ASPS patients post updates here, including tales of success :)
Kat

Re: Kat's daughter from Australia - Dx Jul 2013 at 7 yrs old

Post by Kat »

Olga wrote:Guys, I am glad to hear that Annika is found to be NED. The scanning is usually more intense in the first two years and then a diff. regiment for the next 5 years and then less intense one goes - like once a year.
Re. diet - we are trying to be an evidence based board and although i general I support eating healthy (to enable a patient to undergo any surgeries or treatments if needed), I agree with Bonni - there is no evidence that any healthy diet improves a chances to survive ASPS longer or to remain in none-metastatic state. If there are any articles that you feel provide the evidence, we can discuss them in the health and diet part of the forum, so the discussion won't make Annika's topic unreadable.
I also have to make few comment to address some ideas that were already posted above.

Hi Olga,
Thanks for the post. I'm happy with how the board works, so I'm not into promoting anything, I just wanted to share what we're doing and why.

1. We should not assume that the best diets to prevent cancer and to cure or slow the existent one are the same, i.e. cancer prevention strategies should not automatically assumed to be the best for the cancer patient - may not be the case at all. I.e. there is no proof that we can apply the same diet with success.

No there's not, I don't know if they've done any large scale analysis of nutrition in cancer patients at all?

2. If even her big primary tumor did not attract the glucose based tracer to lit up on the PET scan image, why would you assume the micromets metabolism depends on glucose supply to survive and grow?

That's the basis of how the PET scan works. But as we've seen on here, with a slow growing neoplasm like ASPS, it doesn't work particularly well. I was just pointing out that PET may not be the best scan for ASPS as for Annika it didn't seem to show even the primary. I certainly wouldn't reply on PET scans alone to look for mets.

3. In some cancers it was found that actually overweight patients lived longer then the underweight ones.

Weight is interesting, generally the slightly overweight live a bit longer in the general population, but it's even better if you're fit and healthy. Conversely caloric restriction seems to help us live longer too. There are many contradictions in nutrition and biology. I do wonder if those who eat well, if a bit too much live longer because they have better access to vitamins, minerals and micronutrients.

4. There is a theory that a choice of the cooking oil affect cancer more than what is being cooked. Some healthy oils loose their benefits when heated. So unless you feed her raw veggies, she might get an excess of Omega-6 that increases the pro-inflammatory factors in the body - sarcoma cells might have the receptors for these. Besides the grains and some veggies are high in the carbs anyways. I agree that they release the carbs slow so there is no glucose spike - which is good for variety or reasons cancer aside - but the carbs are still there. Rice, potatoes, other grains...

Yes, I'm not super keen on polyunsaturated omega 6 oils, we try to keep to omega 9 oils like olive oil.
We are OK with carbs, we just prefer the slow release ones, so we eat brown rice, wholemeal flours, sweet potatoes etc...

5. Where does she get her intake of the flavonoids from? the fruits are higher in these than the veggies.

Two serves of fruits, and unlimited veggies, lots of berries, capsicums, dark colored produce, kale.....

6. She is a growing kid and needs enough calcium and proteins. You said the meat is twice a week. Does it include fish and poultry.

No we eat meat more than that, we try to eat vegetarian dinners four times a week, fish twice a week, and we have eggs, yogurt etc

7. I would be more inclined to look for the non-hormonal feed meat and poultry and wild fish as it is most probable that ASPS is a hormone dependent sarcoma - we have seen the hints of it.

We have local producers of organic chicken, beef and pork, we try to eat mainly from them.

8. Do you know if AHCC boosting the immune system is safe as a long term process. I am not sure if it is safe to boost the immune system continuously in a growing child? (I am not saying that it is not safe but it needs to be verified). There is an article on the Pubmed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23931762 I would get its full text for sure to see what toxicities if any where found. It is unlikely they address the continuous intake by the child though.

There is no data that I can find. We will not give it to her continuously. Our bodies seem to respond better to changes/cycles anyway, like in physical training.

I hope you won't find my comments as negative. In general I support not eating junk food, by the reasons of the general health and simply because when I read the label this stuff does not feel as a food to me anymore.
Being healthy is what we're shooting for. The diet is for optimal nutrition, I have consulted with dieticians and they support our diet. The AHCC dose is very low so I'm not too concerned, I wouldn't give her drugs to boost it.

Cheers

Damian
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Damian and Kat,
Thank you for your additional input and comments regarding your conscientious dietary approach for dear Annika's ASPS battle. Thank you too Olga for your valued comments and perpsectives regarding diet as it applies to fighting cancer. I think that we can all agree that eating healthy is beneficial for everyone and it is very important to be aware of healthy nutritional guidelines and the ingredients in the food we eat. My concern remains with those publications and people that state and advocate that specific diet regimens can fight and cure cancer. Obviously, it is important to maintain a strong immune system in order to better battle cancer, and this can be done by eating healthy and maintaining a healthy Lifestyle. However, there is a credible school of thought that taking nutritional supplements to strengthen the immune system, can also strengthen the cancer cells to make them more aggressive. In our 13 and a half years of fighting Brittany's disease we have been given innumerous recommendations from well meaning friends advocating the use of various dietary approaches and nutritional supplements, several of which we pursued but unfortunately none of which have proven successful. I recently read in an article by Dr. Mark Hyman that:
"• Dairy and milk products do not promote healthy bones.
• Milk may not grow strong bones, but it does seem to grow cancer cells.
• Milk increases the risk of Type 1 diabetes.
• Drinking milk contributes to weight gain and *low fat* versions are even worse."

After always being told that milk is an essential member of the food group for building and maintaining strong bones, this illustrates to me the controversial and sometimes erroneous nature of "expert" dietary guidelines and recommendations. However, as Olga said, this is a subject for the "Diet and Lifestyle" topic on the Discussion Board so as to not fill up Annika's Personal Update topic with discussions on nutrition.
I applaud both of you Damian and Kat for your very knowledgeable and proactive approach to fighting Annika's disease, and am very grateful for all of your invaluable shared researched and anecdotal information and your active pariticipation on this Board. It is my greatest Hope that Annika will remain NED and healthy, and my most caring thoughts and very best wishes continue to be with her and your family. Take care and keep in touch as you are able.
With special hugs for you and Annika, deepest caring, healing wishes for precious Annika, warm friendship, and continued Hope,
Bonni
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Bonni,
I don't believe that any diet can "cure" cancer. Being healthy and fit should help in a general way. Annika hasn't had milk since preschool, she tended to get a runny nose with it, she drinks almond milk now. She does have yogurt and goat's fetta.

Do you have a link for the immune/cancer correlation?

Cheers

Damian
Olga
Admin

Post by Olga »

Hi Damian, I posted some links to the articles discussing immune system and cancer problems in the Diet and lifestyle forum
http://www.cureasps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1022
Olga
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi everyone,
Happy new year! We have just come back from Sydney and Annika's MRI and CT scans are clear! Yay!
We were a bit nervous as they did a CT of her neck after we found a lump, it has since shrunk away and looks to be a normal gland from a sore throat at the time.
We will return for the next scans in winter (july).

Cheers
Damian
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Damian and Kat

Great news! The scans are still every 6 months?
How's the bone scan looking as well?
Happy New Year to you as well.
What kind of blood profiles are being performed for Annika and does it inc LDHA and or LDH levels ?
Apparently in Ewing's sarcoma this level tells quite abit
"Serum lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) as a tumor marker in Ewing's sarcoma.
Bacci G, et al. Tumori. 1988."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3232209/

Also what are your thoughts on glutamine verses glucose focus ?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 234345.pdf

Love
Debbie and family :D
Debbie
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hey Debbie,
Yes every six months for the MRI, he'd like yearly for the chest CT starting now. They haven't done bone scans as they believe that lung mets would happen first. They don't take blood as they don't know of clear markers for ASPS.

We are all starting to calm down now, before scans is always a bit scary, waiting for the clinic appointment with the onc is worse!

Annika is well, playing sports, growing like a weed and is 10!

She is happy to eat very healthily and wants to be a dietician when she grows up.

Love to all

Damian
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think ASPS likes glocose and lactate (which to my understanding comes from carbohydrate breakdown) and is happy to use glutamine as a building block and for fuel. They have some early work on PEPCK being a way for tumours to use glutamine as fuel. I'd love to know if ASPS uses GTP as well as ATP. I also think some people respond to vegan diets as they are low in methionine, which many cancers need, rhabdomyosarcoma is one of these. I'd also like to know if ASPS can function in a ketogenic environment.

So basically I have more questions than answers! I think a very low sugar, low GI, moderate protein diet full of vegetables is probably best. I'd love to know more info about what aSPS cells can handle, has anybody tried a vegan low methionine approach in the lab? They can also use methionase to break methionine down to push levels even lower, normal cells can use homocystesine to systhesise methionine, cancer cells may lack this pathway.

I spent ten months last year in ketosis to test it out, I was really good on it and ran 3000km and a tough mudder, so you definitely don't need carbs to run!

We need a researcher to test these things in the lab!
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Thanks Damian

It's really wonderful to hear how Annika is enjoying life and how well she is doing!
WE look forward to having her on board and helping all of us in 20 years with her dietary knowledge . :D

I'm starting a discussion on the PEPCK as I agree that the low glycemic/ lactate theory is a place to investigate with ASPS. We all eat and move/exercise and metabolize and consequently cause cells to heal our bodies of the cancer. What a well oiled machine it is when its 10/10ths. :roll:

http://www.cureasps.org/forum/viewtopic ... 8893#p8893
Debbie
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi Debbie, I find the immunotherapy research the most exciting, the more ways they find to "mark" or unmask cancer cells for the immune system to destroy is the best way forward ultimately. As a bonus there may be ongoing immune activity preventing relapse. Hopefully more ASPS people will get access to ctla4 and pd1 type treatments. Research is just starting to find how tumour cells develop resistance to the targeted therapies and how drug combos can prevent/reverse it.

I'm also hunting for more info on sensitisers, so chemo/radiation is more effective and possibly at much lower doses.

They're doing research at Annika's hospital on cbl0137 and a new drug developed at UNSW targeting microfilaments called anisina that "breaks" the proteins in tumour cells. Anisina also seems to combine synergistically with microtubule treatments like the vincas and taxanes.

They are also working on DFMO, we talked to two families who are on the trial at ronald mcdonald house last week, the trial is being run be Annika's onc who is very active in new treatments.

none of these have been tested in ASPS of course, but they target things that most cancers seem to use so hopefully some transfer to our rare little corner of the cancer world!

D
D.ap

Post by D.ap »

Kat wrote:Hi Debbie, I find the immunotherapy research the most exciting, the more ways they find to "mark" or unmask cancer cells for the immune system to destroy is the best way forward ultimately. As a bonus there may be ongoing immune activity preventing relapse. Hopefully more ASPS people will get access to ctla4 and pd1 type treatments. Research is just starting to find how tumour cells develop resistance to the targeted therapies and how drug combos can prevent/reverse it.
I'm also hunting for more info on sensitisers, so chemo/radiation is more effective and possibly at much lower doses.
They're doing research at Annika's hospital on cbl0137 and a new drug developed at UNSW targeting microfilaments called anisina that "breaks" the proteins in tumour cells. Anisina also seems to combine synergistically with microtubule treatments like the vincas and taxanes.

They are also working on DFMO, we talked to two families who are on the trial at ronald mcdonald house last week, the trial is being run be Annika's onc who is very active in new treatments.

none of these have been tested in ASPS of course, but they target things that most cancers seem to use so hopefully some transfer to our rare little corner of the cancer world!

D
Damian and Kat

The read is amazing. I am guardily apprehensive on the immune alterations and the unleashing on our loved ones however I know that it has its place when the time presents its self .

Have you read Olga's post 2009

General theory behind of the Metronomic Chemotherapy
I'm sure its been thru clinical trials by now and studied in combination with radiations etc :roll:
http://www.cureasps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=361

--
Debbie
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes it is interesting, I do wonder if it works in ASPS.... So resistant!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I just read Meng's update with medi4736, more to look up! Exciting stuff.
It is a bit scary, but ASPS is so sneaky we need the breaks off!
Bonni Hess

Post by Bonni Hess »

Dear Damian and Kat,
What a wonderful way to begin the New Year with precious Annika's VERY good and encouraging scan results!! :-) Thank you for thoughtfully sharing this joyous news and for all of the additional very interesting shared information and conversation regarding promising advances for possible new ASPS treatments. I share the great joy and relief of dear Annika's clear scans and continued disease stability, and applaud your continued pro-active research and pursuance of new treatment information. I Hope that Annika is feeling well, enjoying Life as it should be Lived as an active ten year old, and continuing to regain strength and function in her arm. As in my previous posts to you, I continue to encourage you to schedule pelvic and abdominal MRI scans in addition to Annika's regularly scheduled chest CT and arm MRI, as well as a once a year brain MRI and full body bone scan to ensure appropriate and adequate monitoring of these areas given the nature of this unpredictable disease to metastasize to other areas of the body despite apparent disease stability in the primary scanned areas as we heartbreakingly experienced with Brittany in the early years of her ASPS battle. In my 14 and a half years of ASPS experience, extensive research and observations, and constant networking, vigilant, appropriate, and adequate scanning remains one of the most important and effective weapons in fighting and managing this very challenging disease.
Wishing both of you and dear Annika a most happy and healthy New Year, and celebrating with you the great joy of Annika's good scan results with much happiness, special caring thoughts, healing wishes, warm friendship, love, and continued Hope,
Bonni
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi Bonny, thanks for that post!
The kids are enjoying their summer holidays, but they were shocked when I said school is now only two weeks away!
Oh well, they're enjoying the beach and bike riding.
With the scans, I had to drag our onc team kicking and screaming to get the head MRI, I wonder if an abdominal CT would be easier to get them to do....
They are convinced that there would be lung mets before anything else.
They did CT her neck after we found a lump under her jaw, seems to have been a gland, so maybe they would extend the CT down the abdominal region....

Cheers

D

Return to “Personal Stories and Updates”